Monday, October 6, 2014

Well I went and did it!

I put the R100 up for sale on Craigslist.  Boom, emails all morning. From Florida to Michigan and everywhere in between.  I have it priced very fair, I've seen some asking over 10K and I think my bike will be the prefect hack for some lucky rider.

 I'll be sad to see it go but I can only ride so many machines and I'll be happy with the R50.  I prefer older bikes and to me the 1977 R100 is a little too new. 

With the research I've done on the R50 I came up with the following.  The bike is titled as a 1967 but made in 1964.  It is a carry over bike, I guess it didn't sell from 64 to 67 and dealers were allowed to title in the year sold.  The engine is a 1973 R75 and I don't know when the conversion was done but it must have been early on because the bike only has just over 10,000 miles on it.  The conversion was well done.  The bike has a lot of rust but no damage other than the large dent that was in the sidecar.  Chrome was peeling off so I removed the flakes and plan to clear coat  leaving the "patina" just the way it is.  I am doing a little cleaning each day I mess with the bike and making the mechanicals correct and strong.  The previous owner had it for over 30 years and it was brought from California in the 70's.  The owner was a member of the L.A. Peacekeepers MC.  I'm trying to do some research on that club but not much is coming up. 

That's all for todays posting.

But as usual I found time to correct all the electrical problems and now all the lights work properly as well as the oil pressure and neutral lights so now nothing is holding me back for daily use of the R50 (which I plan to start doing).  Right now the fairing and windscreen is off the bike and I might just reinstall it since the weather is getting very cool in the mornings.

No comments:

Post a Comment